Offered: First semester, second year
Instructors: Gary P. Lees, Professor, Lead Instructor
Timothy H. Phelps, Professor
David A. Rini, Associate Professor
Corinne Sandone, Associate Professor
Credits: 3 Credits
Introduction to operating room protocol, observation and recording of surgical procedures.
- Make accurate, reliable, and convincing operating room sketches.
- Discuss observations and sketches with the surgeon and faculty.
- Identify and sketch basic surgical techniques; sutures, specific instruments, routine incisions, and positions.
- Know aseptic area and policy in the operating room.
- Department collection of surgical instruments and suture materials.
- Department library
- Department Brödel Archives
- Hospital surgical suites
- Hospital records
See attached assignment sheet
- 1:1 faculty – student interface
- Critiques including surgeon input
- Assignment grading
- Surgical anatomy topic area presentation graded
- Final grade
See the following assignment sheet, OR Tour schedule, Faculty Rotation, and Departmental Calendar for the 2nd year students
All students with disabilities who require accommodations for this course should contact Catherine L. Will, Disability Services Coordinator for Graduate Biomedical Education (firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-614-3781) at their earliest convenience to discuss their specific needs. Please note that accommodations are not retroactive.