Bona worked as a nurse in Korea, but took on a new challenge when she came to Baltimore to study Medical Illustration at Johns Hopkins. She likes unique adventures and opportunities to seeing different places. Bona has a world map at home where she keeps track of the places she has visited – one of her lifetime goals is to fill up the rest of the map! Bona says, “You will see a traveling medical illustrator soon.” But for now, she is in North America!
“I am happy to be here at Hopkins although the anatomy class is torturing me!”
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine,
Department of Art as Applied to Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Master of Arts in Medical and Biological Illustration, May 2011.
Seoul National University,
College of Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, 2007.
Experience & Activities
National Aquarium in Baltimore
Baltimore, MD, 2010.
Graphic Designer & Illustrator
72nd Annual Conference, Korean Surgeon Society
Seoul, Korea, 2010.
Baltimore Life Scientists Association
Baltimore, MD, 2010.
Illustrator & Researcher
Cancer Education Center, Samsung Medical Center
Seoul, Korea, 2008-2009.
Department of Medical Education, College of Medicine
Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 2009.
Hemato-oncology, Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit
Seoul National University Hospital
Seoul, Korea, 2007-2008
- Association of Medical Illustrators (AMI), Student Member, 2010 – present.
- American Association of University Women (AAUW), International Fellow, 2010 – present.
- Baltimore Life Scientists Association (BLSA), Committee member, 2010 – present.
- Korean Nurse Association , Registered Nurse, 2007 – present.
- 2011 Inez Demonet Scholarship, Vesalius Trust
- 2011 Awarded Summer graphic and research internship at National Geographic Magazine, National Geographic Society
- 2011 Vesalius Trust Research Grant, Vesalius Trust
- 2010 International Fellowship, American Association of University Women
- 2010 Korean Honor Scholarship, Korean Embassy of United States
- 2010 Korean American Scholarship, Korean American Scholarship Foundation
- 2010 Chester R. Reather Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- 2009 Scholarship, Seoul National University College of Medicine Alumni Association of North America
- 2009-2011 William P. Didusch Scholarship, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- 2005-2006 Student International Scholarship, Seoul National University, Korea
- 2003,2005 Outstanding Student Scholarship, Seoul National University, College of Nursing, Korea
- Association of Medical Illustrators Annual Conference Salon, Portland, OR, 2010.
- Entrance Hall Exhibit, Center for iPS Cell Research and Application of Kyoto University, Japan, 2010.